Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Christmas Warning from NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology)

This video is a classic on that I like to share with all my co-workers this time of year.

It starts off simple enough, a rather bland living room - couch, coffee table, tan carpet... lamp (I love lamp...although, to my disappointment, the lamp pictured here is not in the shape of a leg)

Ooh, it must be Christmas time because there is a festive dry tree in the corner, draped in cheaply made electrical devices and surrounded by packages wrapped in highly flammable tissue paper -GOODY!!

But wait - what's that? A small spark from the middle of the tinderbox appears!




So we have learned here that - well basically, in about 45 seconds, your living room is gone. A properly watered and cared for tree during the Christmas season goes a loooong way to prevent this type of incident from happening.

Or, you could really practice with your family to get that house evacuation time down to under 45 seconds...that sounds reasonable - right?

Merry Christmas

-E-

1 comment:

Chris Eldred said...

I think I've seen this before but it is a great reminder. It blows my mind how fast the chair catches and then the room is filled with smoke. This is a big reason why we don't do real trees.